metro mole, London ,gossip, art ,media,art,culture,Dr Who,Coronation street,The producers,sex,

Friday, March 25, 2005

 

Second blog on blogging

Ok now, here is my second short analysis of the blogging experience. Incidently the spell checker in blogger.com is so bad that for those of you who follow it implicitly here is my FLOGGING experience.
After what I thought was a good start with blogging I seemed to hit a wall in terms of reaching ,and getting back comments from ,an audience. My site traffic was not increasing by much at all let alone at an exponential rate. Here, I decided to go back to scouring other popular sites that interested me and leaving replies on their message boards. After a short time I was included in their links and had few more replies and visitors to my site.
To increase visitors further I was determined to be easibly accessible via search engines which had eluded me so far. I increased my use of metatags and used dmoz.org (an open directory site which increases your site profile)for a wider audience. This seem to help a bit and I was eventually put up at the top spot of most of the search engines, including google, when 'metromole' or metro mole' were typed. The main key words such as theatre,cinema etc also would return results with my site somewhere down the engine results pages. A google page rank,however,still eluded me,I think this can only come with time.
At this point I am now included in a small community including the likes of Scary duck, Mystic mog, Diamond geezer, The dark side , Blogjam, Lady Muck,Lorismith and Londonist (some of them being very good) and included them all my links to which some of them have included me in theirs. Indeed,much of the referral web pages that I can see in my site traffic analysis have come from these sites.
By joining these communities I found it not only important to write my blog on a regular basis but also to check others on a regular basis and leave feedback.With sites such as scary duck this was not a hard chore; some of them ,however,were!Indeed a few of the sites were, dare I say it, very boring and are only maintained on an irregular basis. Needless to say these sites received the least or no comments and probably the least visitors.
Along the way, I encountered a few problems.Every now and then the blogger.com system would go down which became very annoying if you had just written an article and couldn't save it in the drafts or publish it.This also prompted me to save my template and all my writing on hard drive in case the server went down and information was lost from good old cyber space.
I have now come to the conclusion that there is a lot more to blogging than I thought from when I first started.I think of it now more as a magazine whereby you can read articles on your favourite subject and by your favourite writers but ,beyond that, also interact with them and send and receive opinions from them.If your lucky you might even get a good laugh or a piece of astounding information from some of the blogs!

Comments:
Cheers for the plug, Mole. I'm right with you on your Blogger.com frustrations. It's generally less maddening in the mornings (presumably because the Yanks aren't online yet), but recently I've found less and less to choose between the server's morning mood (rubbish) and evening mood (rubbish). Now and then I consider switching to Movable Type, but I wouldn't know where to start -- and Blogger does help crank up the old Google rating. Get yourself listed on Blogging Brits, Blogorama and Blogwise to help the rating along. Big Easter-flavoured muck to you too x
 
Thanks for the info Ladymuck! I'll add it to my final University blog on blogs. Keep on blogging! muck
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

adopt a fetus

«#Blogging Brits?»

British Blogs.